Hell is People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horror Movies

+3
mentalsitcom
Fi Skirata
Nexeria
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Horror Movies Empty Horror Movies

Post by Nexeria Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:41 am

Let's talk about horror movies!

My favorite horror movie of all time is John Carpenter's The Thing. I absolutely adore that movie! Unlike many monster movies at the time, it actually showed the monster under the light and had the audience wondering just what the hell they were looking at. The practical effects used to create the Thing itself are simply superb. I have never seen a more terrifying monster in any other movie.

If you've never seen this movie, I'm shocked because it's literally one of the greatest horror films of all time, and I'd highly recommend that you watch it as soon as possible.

Synopsis: Scientists in the Antarctic are confronted by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills.

And if you're interested after watching Carpenter's version, there is another movie made four years ago that serves as a prequel to Carpenter's film.

Now, what are your favorite horror movies or just your opinion on horror in general?
Nexeria
Nexeria
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Horror Movies Empty Re: Horror Movies

Post by Fi Skirata Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:30 pm

Is it weird that my favorite horror movie is probably Stay Alive?

The whole concept of a possessed game that kills you when you lose is definitely some creepypasta shit, but it felt kind of like a love note to gamers XD
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Megantron Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:07 am

Ah, yes a topic I can really get behind. Smile

I've actually only ever seen the remake of The Thing.. I really need to see the original. I have seen John Carpenter's Halloween (which beats Rob Zombie's by a long shot).

I haven't heard of Stay Alive, but it sounds really interesting... I should check it out.

ANYWAYS, I'm a major Freddy fangirl. I own and have seen ever Freddy Krueger movie (minus the remake because no one else is Freddy to me besides Robert Englund). My favorite is New Nightmare since it breaks the fourth wall and brings him into the "real world" with the actress from the first movie playing herself as she's grown up and living with the success of being the main character in the first film.

I also really liked the recent James Wan horror movies (Insidious, The Conjuring, etc.) because I felt that they brought new life to a genre that was going underground.

The Evil Dead series also has a very special place in my heart along with Bruce Campbell's chin. ;D
Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

http://www.hauntingsss.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:59 pm

Megantron wrote:Ah, yes a topic I can really get behind. Smile

I've actually only ever seen the remake of The Thing.. I really need to see the original. I have seen John Carpenter's Halloween (which beats Rob Zombie's by a long shot).

I haven't heard of Stay Alive, but it sounds really interesting... I should check it out.

ANYWAYS, I'm a major Freddy fangirl. I own and have seen ever Freddy Krueger movie (minus the remake because no one else is Freddy to me besides Robert Englund). My favorite is New Nightmare since it breaks the fourth wall and brings him into the "real world" with the actress from the first movie playing herself as she's grown up and living with the success of being the main character in the first film.

I also really liked the recent James Wan horror movies (Insidious, The Conjuring, etc.) because I felt that they brought new life to a genre that was going underground.

The Evil Dead series also has a very special place in my heart along with Bruce Campbell's chin. ;D

I've never seen any version of the thing so don't feel alone there XD But... I like the Rob Zombie version of Halloween.... >.>

That Freddy movie, New Nightmare, sounds way cool O.o

Bruce Campbell's chin holds a special place in all of our hearts.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalsitcom Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:21 am

ooohhhh man. The Thing is probably one of my favorites too, if not my absolute favorite. I watched The Conjuring last Halloween and enjoyed that pretty well. It's fun in a group. I also liked Mama pretty well! The Babadook was good, too. It seemed a little different and fresh from some of the recent stuff, I don't believe there was more than one jumpscare in that movie (if there was even one)
edit: I'm looking forward to It Follows, it looks like it could be promising, what do you guys think?
mentalsitcom
mentalsitcom
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Creepytubbies Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Hey, I'm new, and I hope I can watch other horror movies thanks to you Smile
Anyway, I'm also looking forward to It Follows, I don't know when It comes out in France but I can't wait for it.
Also, I'm a huge fan of the twisted stories of American horror story.
Anyway, What do you think of Shutter ?
Creepytubbies
Creepytubbies
Serf

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/creepytubbies

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalsitcom Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:28 pm

Hey! welcome, I too am new! I hope you find some horror movies you enjoy Very Happy
Oh man, when you end up watching it seriously tell me what you think of it!
I've never watched Shutter before, is it really good?
mentalsitcom
mentalsitcom
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Creepytubbies Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am

Thank you !
I'll watch this later, at night Wink and I'll tell you.
I love ghosts so, if you know one movie about them, let me know
Creepytubbies
Creepytubbies
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Creepytubbies Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:31 am

But, I know one that made me think twice before going in a forest at night with my car.
It's french and Its called "ils", It means "them". It's based on a true story.
It's about a group of young killers who decided to kill people because they are bored.
It's very scary, but I don't know if it's translated in english.
Check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Djvi1-k0s
Creepytubbies
Creepytubbies
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Nexeria Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:38 am

Awesome, it's great to have new people here.

In response to Megantron, the Evil Dead series also one of my favorites. I'd have to say Evil Dead 2 is my favorite though. I just really liked watching Bruce Campbell go insane throughout the first half of that movie.

I hear that there's an Evil Dead TV Series in the works with Bruce Campbell to return as Old Ash Williams. I think it's supposed to premiere on Starz.

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxYJmfjVwqA

EDIT: Oh yeah. To you new people, feel free to introduce yourself in the introductions thread.
Nexeria
Nexeria
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Creepytubbies Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:18 pm

A little update,
I have finally watched Shutter. So, the story is very interesting and the way they used ghosts in this movie is well made. But It's not scary, It's entertaining.
It's realistic at some points but I was expecting more ghosts.
Anyway I'm glad they don't use the jumpscares to scare like the shitty movie "the woman in black 2" (Yes, I can talk about it if you want). So, don't worry no jumpscares but a heavy environment.
So grab your popcorn Smile
Creepytubbies
Creepytubbies
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalsitcom Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:37 pm

awesome! Very Happy if you like ghost ones then the ones I mentioned are good, except for the Babadook, that's not quite ghost, I believe. Ju-on is japanese and those are really good! I thought the sequel was way better though, so you might want to give that a try, you don't need to watch the first one to enjoy the second.
Oooooh that movie sounds really interesting ! I'll definitely give it a watch!
I haven't watched Evil Dead yet, but I really want to. I've only seen a few scenes but I really liked Bruce Campbell's acting in it.
also thanks, I might just post in that introduction thread Smile
hey that sounds good! I'm always up for an entertaining horror movie, especially when there's no jumpscares, kinda sick of jumpscares.
mentalsitcom
mentalsitcom
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Creepytubbies Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:27 pm

Thank you !
I know that ghosts are important in the japanese culture and they make a lot of movies about them Smile Ju-on or The Grudge.
But I love the kind of ghosts who are "nice" with people. I mean I watch Ghosts adventures because It's creepy and entertaining but I'm still a bit septic about those kind of show.
"Not sure if their proof are true, or if It's for the show" Smile
Creepytubbies
Creepytubbies
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalsitcom Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:37 pm

yeah honestly, the japanese have the most cool and interesting ghost folklore and stories! I love it.
Oh yeah! I enjoy those shows, too. especially around halloween, my sister and I will watch them a lot around then, even if its bogus or not, it's just a good time. do you have any examples of things you like with ghosts who are nice to people?
mentalsitcom
mentalsitcom
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Creepytubbies Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:08 pm

Yeah totally Smile I wish I could be in a haunted house just to see if this is legit. But this show is cool and even though I say that I'm not sure about their honesty I'll still watch it.

A movie, a serie ? Because It's hard not to go off topic Smile
They love mean ghosts in horror movie, and most of the time a movie is good at the beginning and near the end of it, It's messy. I think they try so hard to scare the audience. That's kind of sad, I mean a movie can be good but they love possession and every time they add a girl/boy who is possessed. But a really bad possession Very Happy with vomit and morbid stuff.
In my opinion, a horror movie should be realistic. Possession, Ok, but not with scary ridiculous stuff. I was disapointed with Insidious and The conjuring (the end was not legit if we read the real story). But It's still a good time to spend with friends, family or alone.

For the nice ghosts, I love the 6th sense (Is that the title ?) with Bruce Willis. American horror story, the first season maybe ? Casper ? Very Happy
The nice ghosts for me are in ghost adventures, sometimes It's sad and they are not all mean.

Anyway what is your favorite horror movie ? Or what is the thing you look for when you want to watch one ?
Creepytubbies
Creepytubbies
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:16 pm

mentalsitcom wrote:yeah honestly, the japanese have the most cool and interesting ghost folklore and stories!

Oh man. The pale girls with the hair over their eyes in Japanese horror flicks are called Onryo if memory serves me. And they are the coolest, scariest, sexiest thing of all time, ever, forever.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalsitcom Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Creepytubbies wrote:Yeah totally :) I wish I could be in a haunted house just to see if this is legit. But this show is cool and even though I say that I'm not sure about their honesty I'll still watch it.

A movie, a serie ? Because It's hard not to go off topic :)
They love mean ghosts in horror movie, and most of the time a movie is good at the beginning and near the end of it, It's messy. I think they try so hard to scare the audience. That's kind of sad, I mean a movie can be good but they love possession and every time they add a girl/boy who is possessed. But a really bad possession :D with vomit and morbid stuff.
In my opinion, a horror movie should be realistic. Possession, Ok, but not with scary ridiculous stuff. I was disapointed with Insidious and The conjuring (the end was not legit if we read the real story). But It's still a good time to spend with friends, family or alone.

For the nice ghosts, I love the 6th sense (Is that the title ?) with Bruce Willis. American horror story, the first season maybe ? Casper ?  :D  
The nice ghosts for me are in ghost adventures, sometimes It's sad and they are not all mean.

Anyway what is your favorite horror movie ? Or what is the thing you look for when you want to watch one ?

yeah exactly! I just kind of take it as another form of entertainment, and it becomes really enjoyable :)
I agree with you, Conjuring and Insidious were both enjoyable, even if they weren't really all that great. I found the real story of the Conjuring more interesting than the actual movie, you could tell the end was just all Hollywood.
Ah yes ! I know exactly what you mean now. The Sixth Sense was really good! I haven't watched much American Horror Story but that was good, too.
My favorite is probably John Carpenter's, The Thing. Love it! What I really love in horror movies is a good monster, something really creepy and cool! (which The Thing has in it) if a movie has a cool monster, I'll watch it even if it's bad. I love a good atmosphere, too. and good acting! never get tired of good acting.
How about you? :) what's your favorite? what do you like in horror movies?
mentalsitcom
mentalsitcom
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalsitcom Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:01 pm

Mr. Finale wrote:
mentalsitcom wrote:yeah honestly, the japanese have the most cool and interesting ghost folklore and stories!

Oh man. The pale girls with the hair over their eyes in Japanese horror flicks are called Onryo if memory serves me. And they are the coolest, scariest, sexiest thing of all time, ever, forever.

I know right! leave it to the japanese to make something that's a combination of all those things. I don't watch a whole lot of japanese movies, do you know of another pretty good movie with the ghost ladies like that?
mentalsitcom
mentalsitcom
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Creepytubbies Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:29 pm

I have never seen "The thing", but I have heard that It's freaky. I'll probably watch it with my family then Smile
I love monsters too but I don't know a lot of movie about them...Any suggestions ?
Have you seen Willow Creek ? It's about Big Foot, It was cool, the same environment as Blair Witch.

I love serial killer (only in movies not in real life Very Happy) in movies (Hannibal Lecter: Silence of the Lamb was awesome !), I love ghost stories, Stephen king's adaptation (I read a lot of his books so).
My first and favourite horror movie was "Blair witch project" and "Them". I also loved "Shutter Island", the book and the film are awesome.

I don't know much of japanese movies, so yeah I would love to know one too Smile
Creepytubbies
Creepytubbies
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalsitcom Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Creepytubbies wrote:I have never seen "The thing", but I have heard that It's freaky. I'll probably watch it with my family then :)
I love monsters too but I don't know a lot of movie about them...Any suggestions ?
Have you seen Willow Creek ? It's about Big Foot, It was cool, the same environment as Blair Witch.

I love serial killer (only in movies not in real life :D) in movies (Hannibal Lecter: Silence of the Lamb was awesome !), I love ghost stories, Stephen king's adaptation (I read a lot of his books so).
My first and favourite horror movie was "Blair witch project" and "Them". I also loved "Shutter Island", the book and the film are awesome.

I don't know much of japanese movies, so yeah I would love to know one too :)

Awesome! tell me what you and your family think of it when you watch it :)
I've never seen Willow Creek! I'll have to check that one out, too
Unfortunately I don't know very many.. :/ it's hard to find a good monster. I really liked the Babadook creature, and I'm sure you've seen the 28 Days Later movie, but they were my favorite kind of zombie in that one. and another classic, I really liked the alien in Alien :D I'm sorry I can't think of more! It made me realize I like a lot of cool creatures, but there aren't very many in horror movies :/ What's cool is The Thing got a prequel, made in 2011 so it's really cool to see the awesome monsters in CG (though a lot of people liked the older version which was no CG, which I totally get. I like both so it's cool to see them both for the same thing)
oh man me too!! I totally forgot, but I love the serial killer movies, too. Hannibal is one of my favorite characters! what are your favorite serial killer horror movies? :D
Those are good movies!(except of course I haven't watched Them yet) I enjoyed Shutter Island a lot, and Blair Witch Project was super interesting, I liked their take on things.
Ohh and real quick, maybe you should check out The Taking of Deborah Logan, I thought it was a pretty cool movie.
mentalsitcom
mentalsitcom
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Snœflæk Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59 pm

I don't "like" any horror movies. They are pretty stupid, at least the recent ones. I get suspense.

Gore is not suspense.
Snœflæk
Snœflæk
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Creepytubbies Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:06 pm

I'll tell you Smile
28 days/month later is really awesome, The zombies in it are pretty good and the cast too Smile I love zombies movies or comics (like the Walking dead  Wink ). Alien is cool, the movies and the games. I love Extraterrestrial, UFO related stuff. "Signs" is scary, It traumatized my childhood, like clowns (Anything with clowns scares me, It's a long story that I have to explain).
So for "The thing" which one should I start with, what do you think ?

Hannibal Lecter  is fascinating. I'm not a huge fan of the scream movies: It's more funny than creepy. I have never watch friday 13th (what is it called in english ?), I will one day Smile. Millenium is cool though.
In the serie I watch there are a lot of serial killer, each season have their killer, but bloody face is scary, along with Twisty the clown. I don't know Smile
"The taking of Deborah Logan" sounds good, I will add it to my list, with The Thing, It follows etc...
Thanks for the suggestions Smile

Hey, I agree with you, some recent movies are too much for money or Hollywood boss and less for the creepy. They want the stupid stuff so they add the stupid stuff. Suspense movies are good, the atmosphere is interesting. Anyway what is your favorite horror movies ? (since it's the subject Smile )
Creepytubbies
Creepytubbies
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Snœflæk Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:16 pm

As I said, I don't really have a favorite, since I don't watch them all that much.

...I guess you could say suspense in general...
Snœflæk
Snœflæk
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Creepytubbies Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:21 pm

That's cool Smile
What kind of stuff do you like to watch ?
Creepytubbies
Creepytubbies
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalsitcom Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:30 pm

Yeah! I had the same thing with Signs. my brother forced me to watch it when I was like six, and it freaked me out so bad. Haha! but watching it now it's a cool movie.
honestly, I would start with the 1982 one. It's really good and the prequel was a bit unnecessary, the original could DEFINITELY just be a stand alone. the 2011 movie is just a fun little side thing that is easily dismissed if you didn't like it as the prequel! though that's how I look at it.
I'm not a huge fan either, those classic horror movies like Halloween, Friday the 13th like you say, Texas Chainsaw massacre, etc. I've never been a huge fan, but they're super fun around halloween, I have to admit. Millenium? I'll have to look that one up, as well! I'm gettin a nice list goin here.
you're welcome! I wish I knew of more good horror movies, I feel like they're either a hit or a miss :) let me know if you ever come across a good one. Oh yeah! I don't know what you think of vampires, but I really liked the vampires in 30 Days of Night. it's not a super scary movie or anything, but I always liked the monster-like vampires rather than the romantic types.
Exactly! every horror movie is a copy of every other horror movie now, cheap predictable jumpscares and mindless shock-value gore. not scary at all!
Oh man, as much as I really enjoy horror movies I don't have a lot of favorites, unfortunately! Of course, The Thing, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Ju-on 2, The Conjuring(not gonna lie, I thought it fell extremely flat at the end but I enjoyed it overall :D plus the night I watched it itself is just a good memory for me, so that probably adds to it) It's NOT scary at all but they call it a horror movie, but I loved the Re-Animator movie, haha!! But pretty much only because I loved the main character, I'm a huge fan of mad scientists (but I can never find any good ones anywhere!) I like some old horror movies, too. There's a German black and white movie called M (though again not scary.. but it's a serial killer movie!) I liked Willard, just because of the main character(plus I just loved the actor) and Shutter Island.
Sorry! not a very good list :/ I don't know of very many good ones so most of my favorites are just OK movies, but I'm working to make a better list!
What are yours?
mentalsitcom
mentalsitcom
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next