Hell is People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Recommendation/discussion General

5 posters

Go down

Book Recommendation/discussion General Empty Book Recommendation/discussion General

Post by Thade Sun May 17, 2015 2:17 pm

If you're looking for a book to read, just list some things you enjoyed, and everyone else provide recommendations based off of that.  Easy.

EDIT: Also, let's just make this general discussion.

Last edited by Thade on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendation/discussion General Empty Re: Book Recommendation/discussion General

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon May 18, 2015 12:56 am

I would suggest The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I loved these books and was seriously dissapointed when I finished them because I just wanted more. I was even more dissapointed when I learned of the controversy surrounding the new "fourth book" of the series that is going to be written by a ghost writer hired by the publishers.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Book Recommendation/discussion General Empty Re: Book Recommendation/discussion General

Post by Fi Skirata Mon May 18, 2015 4:59 pm

Not to go off topic, but shouldn't you at least be hopeful about the potential that the new one has?
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Megantron Mon May 18, 2015 7:21 pm

I'm going to recommend Lexicon by Max Barry in that it was the last book I read and couldn't put down. The use of language in the book was very intriguing to me.
Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

http://www.hauntingsss.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nexeria Wed May 20, 2015 4:14 am

Oh yeah, Max Barry. He's the creator of Nationstates.
Nexeria
Nexeria
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Read Looking for Alaska and Into the Wild while I was gone. I posted this in the Skype chat.

Into the Wild I think appeals to a very specific type of person. And I really can't hate John Green. He's good at what he does, which is writing somewhat pretentious teen novels. I don't really care for young adult fiction, and I haven't for ages, but it was the type of book I think 13 year old me would have hidden behind a copy of The Communist Manifesto and secretly enjoyed.

What's everybody been reading lately?
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Seems like a pretty standard opinion of John Green to me and I probably agree with it.

Me? Read? Read books? Pfft. PFFT. *stares at recently acquired collection of Lovecraft*
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Goddammit read that Lovecraftian tome and then start an RP.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:17 am

Holy shit did that Lovecraft tome come in? What are you doing with your life and why are you not letting me, your Lovecraftian and eldritch adoring best friend not borrow them.

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it Mr. Crabs
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:08 am

Oh, yeah, try to remind me next time I have any sort of contact with you and I'll bring it. XP
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:48 am

I read Dagon. Not bad. Definitely urges me to want to read more of Lovecraft's stuff.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:20 pm

Read the rest of it and then make Fountain read it too.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:21 am

Everyone ever needs to read A Perfect Day For Bananafish.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:00 am

I'm really truly surprised you liked it, Fish. I'm glad. XD
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:44 am

That reminds me that I need to start on Carpenters and Seymore, which is the only one of Salinger's works I haven't read yet.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:57 am

Carpenters is great, probably my favorite Salinger piece. When you read Seymore, you'll see that it's a rambling mess but keep in mind that it's supposed to be.

I just need to read the other seven stories in Nine Stories and Catcher and I'll be done.

I thought that Franny and Zooey were really good, too. Actually, this is probably my favorite passage from anything he wrote:

Salinger wrote:At first piecemeal, then point-blank, he let his attention be drawn to a little scene that was being acted out sublimely, unhampered by writers and directors and producers, five stories below the window and across the street. A fair-sized maple tree stood in front of the girls' private school-one of four or five trees on that fortunate side of the street-and at the moment a child of seven or eight, female, was hiding behind it. She was wearing a navy-blue reefer and a tam that was very nearly the same shade of red as the blanket on the bed in van Gogh's room at Aries. Her tam did, in fact, from Zooey's vantage point, appear not unlike a dab of paint. Some fifteen feet away from the child, her dog - a young dachshund, wearing a green leather collar and leash - was sniffing to find her, scurrying in frantic circles, his leash dragging behind him. The anguish of separation was scarcely bearable for him, and when at last he picked up his mistress's scent, it wasn't a second too soon. The joy of reunion, for both, was immense. The dachshund gave a little yelp, then cringed forward, shimmying with ecstasy, till his mistress, shouting something at him, stepped hurriedly over the wire guard surrounding the tree and picked him up. She said a number of words of praise to him, in the private argot of the game, then put him down and picked up his leash, and the two walked gaily west, toward Fifth Avenue and the Park and out of Zooey's sight. Zooey reflexively put his hand on a crosspiece between panes of glass, as if he had a mind to raise the window and lean out of it to watch the two disappear. It was his cigar hand, however, and he hesitated a second too long. He dragged on his cigar. "God damn it," he said, "there are nice things in the world-and I mean nice things. We're all such morons to get so sidetracked. Always, always referring every goddam thing that happens right back to our little egos." Behind him, just then, Franny blew her nose with guileless abandon; the report was considerably louder than might have been expected from so fine and delicate appearing an organ. Zooey turned around to look at her, somewhat censoriously.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:56 am

Has anyone here actually read the Song of Ice and Fire books? I have all of them from a few years back when I bought them for an ex, and they've just collected dust on my book shelf, and I'm not really sure if I care to actually read them or not.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:06 pm

I read the first and second ones. I thought they were pretty good. Probably the first real fantasy novels I ever read.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:08 pm

The only fantasy novels that I recall reading, bar the Harry Potter series, are the old Deltora books. There are something like 15 books in the series and I read all but one.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Megantron Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:21 pm

If anyone wants to hear anything embarrassing about me, I had a bookcase filled with YA fiction books I read in middle/high school and two shelves were dedicated to vampire novels/series.

So, if anyone ever wants a vampire YA fiction novel to read. I'm your girl.
Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

http://www.hauntingsss.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:33 pm

I really liked Chronicles of Vladimir Tod when I was younger.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down