Hell is People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sheriff's Cutting Room Floor

4 posters

Go down

The Sheriff's Cutting Room Floor Empty The Sheriff's Cutting Room Floor

Post by Syagrius Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:20 am

Boy, that indigo topic colour must be pretty interesting/distracting/whatever suits your fancy. It the discussion of the effectiveness of my advertising isn't really why I started this thread. I have been RPing for around six or seven years now, and I've been creatively writing for more than that. Anyways, I've been meaning to start one of these for awhile now, but I've been either too busy or too irrelevant to.

What this thread is aimed at doing is creating what video game developers call a "cutting room floor", which means that during the creation of a game, certain parts of the original game are cut out for practicality, time constraints, or other reasons. I have, for awhile, been doing a mental cutting room floor for all of the literature and the RP ideas that I've come up with for about eight years.

What I think I'll do with all this "cut content", the stuff that I've had rebounding in my head but never put to paper/keystroke, is throw it all up on this thread, and based on feedback, make the most popular one into an RP for the forum. The list will continually grow and change as more ideas come to me and even more are remembered, though I'll try to keep it to the ones that I think would be interesting for the people here. It's kind of an open thing, really, since this forum is small enough and relatively laid back.

Without further ado, I suppose I'll start in on the list.

• The first RP that I've had bouncing around in my head, and perhaps one of my favourite that I've never tried to implement, is that of the CHERUB series. For those of you who don't know, the CHERUB series is a series of twelve books and one mini-novel that were published between 2004 and 2010. The concept is relatively simple: Sometimes, children can get certain espionage work done much faster than adults can. CHERUB, a British government organization, whose name is completely non-coincidental, prunes orphaned children who exhibit extreme skill for espionage missions.

Teens from the ages of twelve to eighteen operate as undercover agents across the globe, often alongside MI-5 agents, to bust high-level criminals. Between undercover subterfuge, comedic British repartee, and the intrigues of teenage drama, an RP based in the CHERUB universe could bring a fun fusion of directed and free roam RPing, and would be perfect for a small group of RPers.

• With those of you who are familiar with the Metro 2033 games, you'd probably share my grievances with the lack of exploration and free roam associated with the beautiful post-apocalyptic scenery and the (nothing less than epic) universe that was set up by the novels. I loved the Metro books and I thoroughly enjoyed both of the Metro games, but I couldn't help but feel like it should've been made closer to a Skyrim or a Grand Theft Auto rather than a Call of Duty, Silent Hill "On the Rails" game.

However, the developers chose to make the game that way, and there's nothing much we really can do about it. However, the universe is perfectly geared for an open-world RP in which people would have the freedom to develop their characters over the semi-structured story of the game.

• Another idea that originated roughly three years ago, but was only just put back into my head recently was the idea of a Superhero RP. Not one that you romp around like Superman and do all the things, but something more finesse, similar to the DC Batman villains, not the Marvel heroes. What I mean by that is that the characters wouldn't have as many super powers as they would abilities. The Joker's intelligence/madness, the Scarecrow's fear gas, et cetera, not Superman's super-everything.

But the RP wouldn't be free roam for certain, no, because that would be too vanilla, and for those of you who know me well, vanilla isn't really my style. No, I like to put a twist on everything. In this RP, we'd be superheroes in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse, on a world full of other superheroes who are all susceptible to the virus. Half a year after the first infection, the threat isn't zombies, the new threat are zombie superheroes. Those who sign up would play as superheroes/villains who have formed an uneasy alliance and have managed to survive twenty six weeks into the planet-wide zombie epidemic.

• Another idea that I had a long time ago that I had shelved away was an odd one, and probably more fit for a short story than an RP itself, but I'll give it a shot, feel free to give some input on it. It's World War Two, Western Front, DDay, but from a different perspective. From the crew of a Wespe, a German Self-Propelled Gun, which was used to support infantry and tanks with a 105mm Howitzer from behind the lines. But as D-Day progresses, the crew, played by the members of this fine forum, find themselves behind enemy lines and in an extremely vulnerable vehicle with a powerful cannon.

• Has anybody ever played the Saints Row series? This RP, with the working title Gangland, takes place in the universe, and has next to nothing to do with Saints themselves. Gangland takes place after the events of Saints Row 2 (The Saints, the protagonist's faction, push out all opposition from their home city, Stilwater), a number of gangs from in and around the city of Stilwater have waged a year-long gang war against the Saints in a war of extinction. Over the course of twelve months, the Saints have slowly been eliminated from Stilwater, the war culminating in the Battle for Saints Row, the headquarters of the Saints, where the Saint's top leadership, Johnny Gat, Shaundi, Pierce, and most notably, The Protagonist, are all killed, destroying the Saints forever.

Stilwater is divided up among the various gangs, but soon their alliance is dissolved and territorial ambitions set in, bringing new conflict to the city. In this RP, players will have a chance to create a gang, or serve in someone else's gang as each of the gangs attempt to maneuver themselves into a hegemonic position among the other gangs. You may ask, "Sheriff, why does this need to be in the Saints Row Universe, it could easily be its own stand-alone." Because, young one, the Stilwater map is perfect, and it being in the SRU means that using a massive dildo as a bat is completely(relatively) acceptable. The map would be divided into a number of zones that provide various different types of income, for instance, Stilwater State University would provide drug money, while China Town would provide prostitution and gambling, with a special few places that provide more than that.

If you couldn't tell, a lot of thought has gone into this RP, and it was in a developmental stage from March to July of 2014. I was ready to launch it on another forum, but I didn't, because. Anyways, it might be better with the fewer players that would be on this forum, especially if we only get a few gangs jockeying for control of the city.

• For those of you who knew me before this website, you probably knew of my Coldharbour series. Coldharbour, for those of you who don't know, was an RP that was set in the fictional Cold Harbour Asylum, which stored superpowered criminals who were mentally unstable. The RP that was set in this universe saw a break out at this asylum, the criminals overpowering the guards and (temporarily) turning the island-based asylum into their personal playground under the Payne Twins, superpowered twins who were only superpowered when near one another. The plot sounds remarkably similar to Batman: Arkham Asylum, right? That's because it was. At the time, I had just finished playing the game, and was inspired.

For the time that it ran, it was extremely well written and well played by all parties, and I often consider it one of my best RPs. The one problem was that I couldn't decide on a hero design that would eventually come along and challenge the hegemony of the various criminals on the island, and the thing began to fall apart.

This RP would take place in a similar, if not the same universe, about a week after the outbreak, meaning that the players would take control of various characters on the island without having to set up the various political factions of the RP. It would be essentially free-roam, but there would be an overarching story line that would affect each and every character. Various gangs would control parts of the Asylum, led by villains such as the soul-wrenching Tormentum, the mysterious Gas, and the infamous Payne twins (Pictured: Samantha Payne.)

As the authorities, heroes, and various other do-gooders attempt to re-establish rule of law on the island, and various gangs vie for power, players would have the choice to join one of the preexisting gangs, attempt to make their own, or simply go their own way, doing their own thing.

• More to come later

Last edited by Syagrius on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Syagrius
Syagrius
Serf

http://nationstates.net/Transoxthraxia

Back to top Go down

The Sheriff's Cutting Room Floor Empty Re: The Sheriff's Cutting Room Floor

Post by Nexeria Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:26 am

CHERUB sounds pretty cool. I can't help but think of that movie that's coming out soon, Kingsman: The Secret Service. Although, something tells me this RP will be less hype than that movie. Anyways, this sounds pretty cool.

I briefly played one of the Metro Games and really liked it. Although, I'd need to do some research on the lore.
Nexeria
Nexeria
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:42 am

I swear to god I will play as a Nazi if you start the Metro RP.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:16 pm

I only briefly played the first Metro game, and thats all the experience I had with it. But that said, it does sound like it would make a great RP.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Syagrius Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:44 pm

Nexeria wrote:CHERUB sounds pretty cool. I can't help but think of that movie that's coming out soon, Kingsman: The Secret Service. Although, something tells me this RP will be less hype than that movie. Anyways, this sounds pretty cool.

I briefly played one of the Metro Games and really liked it. Although, I'd need to do some research on the lore.

I haven't heard of Kingsman, I'll have to check it out.

And hey, hype is like, 95% of what I do.

As for the Metro RP, yeah, they're really well made, but an RP would probably need a little lore research.

Mr. Fountain wrote:I swear to god I will play as a Nazi if you start the Metro RP.

The Nazis were my personal favourite part of the Metro series, for sure.

Mr. Finale wrote:I only briefly played the first Metro game, and thats all the experience I had with it. But that said, it does sound like it would make a great RP.

Yeah, the only thing I'd need to figure out would be the mechanics, and how they would work.
Syagrius
Syagrius
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Syagrius Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Also, fun stuff, I added more ideas to the OP.
Syagrius
Syagrius
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:18 am

Jesus on a cracker that SR one sounds cool. o.o
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Syagrius Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:40 am

Mr. Finale wrote:Jesus on a cracker that SR one sounds cool. o.o

The Saints Row one? I know right.
Syagrius
Syagrius
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Syagrius Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:16 pm

Added in a new idea. For Nex and Verk, you may or may not remember it from awhile back.
Syagrius
Syagrius
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:17 pm

The new one you just put up sounds like it could be really interesting.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Syagrius Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:04 pm

Mr. Finale wrote:The new one you just put up sounds like it could be really interesting.

You should message me.
Syagrius
Syagrius
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:15 am

I never knew you had this kind of RP back in NationStates. I love the idea.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Syagrius Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:32 pm

Mr. Fountain wrote:I never knew you had this kind of RP back in NationStates. I love the idea.

Yeah, it was hella rad. Would you be up for it?
Syagrius
Syagrius
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Yeah, I'd probably join. Mhmm.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Syagrius Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Mr. Fountain wrote:Yeah, I'd probably join. Mhmm.

Swag. I'll get an OoC up in a bit, probably.
Syagrius
Syagrius
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Looking forward to seeing this.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down