Hell is People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Masada's Pen & Paper RPG Pitch

4 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Masada's Pen & Paper RPG Pitch - Page 3 Empty Re: Masada's Pen & Paper RPG Pitch

Post by Fi Skirata Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:46 pm

I don't think I am. I know we said "Lets play Pathfinder" at 11-ish, and didn't leave Masada's place til 8 or so. And we weren't actually playing for more than two hours or so.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Masada's Pen & Paper RPG Pitch - Page 3 Empty Re: Masada's Pen & Paper RPG Pitch

Post by Seccom-Masada Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:31 pm

At the request of Fontan, editing this (to the best of my abilities) to be a step-by-step guide to basic Pathfinder character creation.

Step 1 - Selecting a race, class, and determining ability scores.

For simplicity's sake we'll be making a Human Fighter as an example character named Dude McFighter,
and we'll be using Myth-Weavers' online character sheets (I use the experimental one, you should probably use the normal one).

So! Your DM invites you to a campaign and asks you to make a character and you decide to be a boring little human fighter with a big sword.

First and foremost, you must find out your class's basic requirements. The Fighter is the general party tank; he rushes out into the fray and hits stuff and, since he most likely wears the bulkiest armor, tanks the hits by said stuff. Basically, all he needs to be able to do is hit stuff and stay alive, and for this he will need, primarily, lots of only 2 of the 6 ability scores: Strength and Constitution.

A better description of all the 6 ability scores are found here.

Strength will be needed because to calculate if an attack will hit, you would roll a 20 sided dice (d20), and add both your Strength modifier (a bonus granted for high strength scores) and your base attack bonus (given to you on a chart for your class).

Constitution will be needed for bonuses to HP (from the Constitution modifier.) and fortitude saves (for resisting poison, disease, etc.).

Dexterity isn't necessary, but you'll want the bonuses it gives to your armor class (again, from the modifier.)

As for adjusting ability scores, I am too lazy for all those dice rolls and simply use a point-buy calculator which can be found here.
What a basic Fighter's abilities might look like.:
(Humans have a racial trait that grants them a bonus to any ability of their choice.)

Step 2 - Filling the big, scary sheet.

An empty character sheet.:
Yes, quite an overwhelming amount of empty boxes we need to fill, but it is as simple as looking up the information and copying it to the sheet.
We've already got our class, race, ability scores, our hit die, our basic saving throw bonus, our base attack bonus, and our class abilities just by looking at the section for Fighter on d20pfsrd

Half filled character sheet.:
Well, would ya look at that, in about 5 minutes its already half full. Some of it was even filled in automagically when I entered the ability scores.

Now, as for weapons and armor, the player can start with any weapon and any armor listed in these top two lists: link

We said we wanted a big sword, but we also want to be practical here so we're gonna go with the Bastard Sword so we can wield it with two hands and one hand interchangeably. For armor, we unfortunately can't afford any heavy armor because the fighter only starts off with a measly 175 gold.
For now, we will stick with Scale mail.

wepon and armur:
Now you may be wondering: "Masada pls. Chk pen? Spell Fail? Attack Bonus? What do these strange, magic numbers mean?!".
Easy there champ, the spoiler below lists'm all and what they do, but some of it only your DM needs to worry about.

what the magic numbers mean:

With that out of the way, only one part is actually left...

Step 3 - Class Features, Skills, And Abilities

Finally, before flavoring him up, we gotta list his abilities and feats. We'll start with feats, since they're the most complicated.

Feats are abilities or passive effects that you can select from a HUGE list that do all sorts of different things, be they anything from something he was trained to do or something he born with. This list is truly massive, and can be found here: link

Since our character is a Human and a Fighter, he probably gets the most feats allowed per any race/class combination in the entire game. His Human traits give him an extra feat, his class gives him one bonus COMBAT feat every level, and character advancement rules say that any race and class gains at least one feat at level 1, so he gets to start off with 3 feats in all.

We'll be taking Power Attack as the combat-only class feat, Quick Draw (so we can move after we unsheathe our sword) as his level 1 feat, and since we need to be proficient with exotic weapons to be able to hold the Bastard Sword with one hand: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword). Then add-in the class-granted feats and abilities; Fighter gives us proficiency with every Simple and Martial weapon, along with any armor and shield. I have also added the favored class bonus; every time you gain a level in a classed that is marked as your favored class, you have a choice of gaining a +1 to your HP, a +1 to you skill ranks, or a race-specific favored class bonus. On the character sheet, I like to organize them by column, like so:

filled class features:

Moving on...

Skills!
Skills cover a wide variety of abilities; from gathering information with a diplomacy check to trying to craft potions with an alchemy check to even determining the spell your enemy is trying to cast with a spellcraft check and readying a proper counterspell. These skills can be applied to anything at the DM's descretion.

A full list of skills can be found here; click a skill to see what it's used for.

For our character though, the "Skilled" ability in the above picture is a Human racial trait that grants a +1 to your skill ranks and increases by 1 for every level he gains. This coupled with his base skill rank allotment is 3 + his Intelligence modifier (which is -1) which he can use to enhance his skills. It is recommended to only put ranks in your class skills (to get a +3 bonus) which, for Fighter, are posted near the top of this page: link

I never know what to expect in dungeons in regards to hazards; so when I'm stuck with just 2 skills to pick from, I try to be as mobile as possible and knowledgeable of traps and other terrain hazards, picking Climb, and Knowledge(Dungeoneering)

Also keep in mind that you cannot have more ranks in a skill than your current experience level

should look like this:

And with that, we are pretty much done, the very bottom of this version of the sheet is used for flavoring up your character with info on appearance, backstory, and other assorted goodies.

I did leave out the inventory section, but that is because the items you can buy and bring with you are rather situational. A list of said items may be found here.

If you have a question on stuff I left out, ask and thou shalt receive.

And here's one of my character sheets if you still need stuff to go on: Kagrynn, The kobold Magus

Last edited by Seccom-Masada on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:12 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : the pictures done broke, but i fix'm!)
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:38 pm

GUYS ^^^ HE ADDED IT
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:01 am

BUMP BECAUSE FEESCH SAID TO
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:24 am

Oh, shit, I didn't know he had added that walkthrough. Wow. Alot of those spoilers won't open when I click em?
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:43 am

They wont open because puush only keeps a certain amount of images saved, i'll have to capture them again, if you want.
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:35 pm

Wow, I never noticed that you edited in that explanation. You should update those pics, tho. Use imgur if you do.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Aaaaaand pictures are fixed, also added in one of my own character sheets for reference.
It's at the bottom.
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:37 pm

BUMPING THIS ONE LAST TIME TO ASK:
WOULD YOU BABBYS ACTUALLY BE UP FOR THIS IF I PRE-MADE YOUR CHARACTER SHEETS OR SOME SUCH?
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:44 pm

I... I would, yeah. I imagine we'd just put in requests for the kind of character we'd like to play?
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:39 am

Yeah. Probably, you tell me what you want the guy to be able to do and I could roll'm up accordingly.

Pathfinder already thought of this and has several pre-made characters.
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:00 am

I can't believe I'm saying this, but fine, I'll cave. I'll play. I won't even demand a gunslinger, you know what I like, just give me whatever.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Well, if you don't WANT to, you don't HAVE to.
When you put it like that, I feel like I'm forcing you.

'sides, Dungeon is looking about the same thing, anyway. :u
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Then, maybe we'll just wait for Dungeon to cave or end.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:28 pm

I could do Dungeon and this, personally. I'm looking forward to this, honestly.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:02 pm

Okay, then, Masada, go ahead and do the thing.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:57 am

Alrighty then, I'll put up a post sometime. Might be up after I move.
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:31 am

Cool, sounds good.~
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum