Hell is People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Social Issues [Controversial]

+4
Mr. Fountain
ghosty
Megantron
Fi Skirata
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Social Issues [Controversial]  Empty Social Issues [Controversial]

Post by Megantron Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:34 pm

What are your views on topics such as:

1. Recreational drug use (that and the legalization of marijuana)
2. Abortion (pro-choice/life?)
3. Same-Sex marriage
etc.

Basically any social issue that it seems our society is facing right now.
Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

http://www.hauntingsss.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Social Issues [Controversial]  Empty Re: Social Issues [Controversial]

Post by Fi Skirata Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:07 pm

1. Though I typically tend to look down on people who do drugs, I feel that an individual should be allowed to use drugs in recreational use however they please, on the single condition that it does not impair their ability to be a normally functioning human being. After all, cigarettes, alcohol, and sugar are all perfectly legal despite all having some harmful effects on the body.

As for the legalization of Marijuana, I really could care less. But its true that it was only prohibited due to self serving interests of politicians, over the potential uses of hemp as rope and things like that.

The only other thing I have to say about marijuana is that those who say it hurts people can only cite similar effects as alcohol and cigarettes. So... what makes weed different?

2. I am pro-choice so very...very hard. I hate the arguement "oh, you were adult enough to have sex, so that means you're adult enough to raise a child, bitch." Cause... yeah. The fact that I wanted to get off with someone I liked definitely means I want to lose countless man hours and money for the next quarter of my life over something that may have been a mistake.

People say "well if you don't want it, give it for adoption." Oh? Have you ever BEEN to a children's home? No one I know enjoyed that experience. No kid want's to grow up knowing their real parents didn't want them.

I have alot to say on this subject. Alot. But I'll spare you.

3. Its legal in more states in the US to have sex with a horse than to marry someone of the same sex. ......Wat.

Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:15 pm

1. I believe that people should be allowed to do whatever they want with their bodies as long as they have the conscious capability to do so and understand what exactly they are doing. So, I am for the legalization of most to all drugs. 

I also believe that the War on Drugs was started to further subjugate and attack minorities. If you look at some of the quotes of the medical community and the first "drug czar" of the American drug agency, you will see that the comments they made are more than obvious that they were being spoken by racist people.

2. Fetuses do not possess the ability to have conscious thought and therefor do not have the same rights as conscious humans or any rights for that matter. So, I'm pro-choice. 

3. Other than causing hurricanes and other natural disasters, I am completely fine with people of any alternative sexual orientation or gender identification. I believe that gay people should be allowed to get married and that we should harness their ability to cause devastating hurricanes and use it against ISIS.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ghosty Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:12 am

Haha I like that this topic is called controversial, and yet there seems to be some pretty solid consensus. :')

1.) I've been a recreational drug user in the past (Ahhh, high school) and my parents are addicts (in recovery now!). I think the war on drugs has pretty well been shown to be a failure. The fact of the matter is that marijuana is not in the same category as heroin, and treating them like it's all the same is demonstrably harmful.

I also think the criminalization just makes it harder for addicts to recover... as well as making drug use more unsafe. The fact of the matter is that our country has addicts, and trying to sweep them under the rug hasn't done any good. I'm all for harm minimization. I'd like to see decriminalization and education, personally. (Real "dangers and safety" education, not "reefer will make you go crazy and jump off a roof" education.)

2. Intensely pro-choice. Though I'd also like to see better sex-education and a wider variety of birth-control options available.

3. As a girl who likes girls (and other people) I'm pretty much in favor of my own rights. Shocker!
ghosty
ghosty
Serf

http://hostileghosts.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Of these topics, I honestly don't really see any good reason for why weed, abortion, or samesex anything should be illegal. It all has to do with how someone lives their own life and its honestly none of anyone elses fucking business.

To expand, it is perfectly within someone's rights to dislike or vocalize dislike for any of those things. But it is quite frankly unfair to illegalize them.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ghosty Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:39 pm

I'd agree with that. It seems like most of these subject fall under the headings of personal freedom.

I'm taking an Ethics and Moral Problems class, and we have a whole week dedicated to gay marriage... which is a pretty big chunk of time for this class. I'm really not sure how we're going to fill a week on that subject. Especially because, statistically speaking, my generation doesn't really care very much if gay people wanna get married. It's kind of a relic from past days.
ghosty
ghosty
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Megantron Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:55 pm

I agree. I feel like as long as what someone else does doesn't physically harm you in anyway (including mental/emotional abuse), then they should be able to do whatever they want with their body and their life.

Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:52 pm

What does everyone think about assisted suicide?
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Gonna agree with Megan. Unless I'm interfering with someone else's human rights, I should be allowed to do what I want, simple as that.

My opinion on assisted suicide? Well. I don't see a problem with it honestly... The real problem becomes "How do you know it was assisted suicide and not murder?"
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Megantron Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:15 am

Assisted suicide should only be done if the person that wants to die is literally only going to be living a painful life due to terminal illness or injury.

There's no point in stringing out someone's life if they are going to be living in pain for the rest of it. Might as well cut it short and give them a peaceful death.
Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by ghosty Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:14 am

I promise I'm not a libertarian... but I think the question of ascertaining whether or not it's murder is another argument for legalization. If it's legal, people can discuss their choices and their wishes in a more public way. When it currently occurs in states where it is illegal, it's a secret and hidden thing. There's no real way to tell what the person actually wanted.

If I'm not mistaken, though, current practice in states where it is legal is to send the person home with the required medication and they are allowed to die in their own home at their own volition. Which is definitely the most reasonable way to go about it. (And I believe they have to be terminal with 6mo or less to live.)
ghosty
ghosty
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:53 pm

I think it would involve a lawyer or two to legally assist someone in their death.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:41 pm

Mr. Fountain wrote:I think it would involve a lawyer or two to legally assist someone in their death.

Tell me you're kidding? You know very well most people can't afford a lawyer.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ghosty Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:53 am

If I'm not mistaken, in Oregon, in it's a decision between the individual and their physician. I'm not sure about the rest of the states; but I think it's about the same.
ghosty
ghosty
Serf

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:45 pm

I'm very much in favor of assisted suicide, on the condition that the decision is made when the person in question is of logically sound mind. Someone suffering from severe mental illness should be helped before suicide is even considered.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Snœflæk Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:55 pm

I have no opinion on any of these issues
Snœflæk
Snœflæk
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:47 am

Nodney the Great wrote:I have no opinion on any of these issues

None whatsoever? You gotta have an opinion.

Last edited by Mr. Finale on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:15 am

Nodney the Great wrote:I have no opinion on any of these issues

Well, you've gotta have an opinion!

Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nexeria Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:05 pm

I love you guys. XD
Nexeria
Nexeria
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Megantron Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:42 am

I'm liking the matching Pulp Fiction avatars, lol.

I actually just recently re-watched Pulp Fiction... Zed's dead, baby.
Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Megantron wrote:I'm liking the matching Pulp Fiction avatars, lol.

Never underestimate how far we are willing to go to make a lame joke.

Any one think of any other issues to discuss?
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Megantron Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Are we really living in a post-racial society? Police officers would say yes. Black mothers would say no.
Megantron
Megantron
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Syagrius Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:40 am

1. Legalization/marginally illegal substances would be the best route for this, and, as much as I hate to say these four words in succession, perhaps a government regulated supply chain of marijuana would keep it safer and cheaper than if it were sold commercially on the black market. Of course, I would prefer the free market take its course with this, but then the product wouldn't be nearly as safe.

2. Pro-life. The child is a child is a child is a child. Period. If you don't want the child, put it up for adoption. But don't destroy its chance to succeed in the world by making a decision that it can't have any input in.

3. Sure, go ahead, fuck it, marry a goddamned dog, it ain't my business and it shouldn't be the government's business to stop you.
Syagrius
Syagrius
Serf

http://nationstates.net/Transoxthraxia

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Megantron wrote:Are we really living in a post-racial society? Police officers would say yes. Black mothers would say no.

Shit. I would have responded to this much much sooner but for some reason I completely missed it.

Well. I don't see alot of blatant racism. Not personally. Alot of racism I see nowadays is parodic. But, what I see is that we as a people are learning to not be... verbally racist, I would say. But if you look at things like police reactions and how people react to others, it seems that racism is a very real and significant thing, but that there are those who are making a significant effort to hide the fact that racism is still very existant.

That said, honestly the gay rights vs everyone else thing seems to be the new racism, in the public eye.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thade Sun May 17, 2015 1:10 am

Police brutality is a recent and major issue. The problem arises when it's made racial, instead of the public recognizing the shared threat.
Thade
Thade
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum