Hell is People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worldbuilding Discussion

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Worldbuilding Discussion

Post by Fi Skirata Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:41 am

Also. Go back over the Matossa? I feel like I don't know enough about them compared to Bremin and all.
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:58 am

Mr. Fountain wrote:Interesting. Well, then... *suddenly reaches my hand out to grab one of Aansa's hands and proceeds to shake it thoroughly with both of mine* Nice tah meet ya!

So, *still shaking hands* tell me about the latest technologies! How developed is the world?

"Uh? Oh! Umm... Eheheh... Hey! You didn't have to do this."

Aansa becomes apparently flustered.

"Hee hee... You're a very curious one aren't you?"
"Y'know, when bremin do this they can almost feel eachothers' emotions. Like we have a sort of very weak mental link when in contact. The biology department were even able to pick up our brain waves syncing up. Quite fascinating!"

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 Reb5nmg

"Ah. Technology."
"As would seem apparent, Anija leads in tech development. Some of us do not agree with this, but... we hoard our technology away from outsiders. It's sorta what we're infamous for. I suppose it's safe to tell you; the rest of the world is still squabbling with swords and bows and have nothing that resembles proper medicine. Meanwhile, we have nigh-unbreakable metals, small cannons that can be carried in one hand, and unparalleled health services. The chancellors, however, believe our technology should stay confined. They think it could be disastrous if it fell into other hands. If anyone tries to smuggle out anything, the Seeker Corps is notified and given orders to hunt down and eliminate all involved and they are VERY good at their job. It can get real nasty."

She pulls her hand away and shakes her head.

Fi Skirata wrote:Also. Go back over the Matossa? I feel like I don't know enough about them compared to Bremin and all.

"The matossa? There isn't much else. As I said, they don't allow us in Madosakai and they can definitely tell it's us! We just don't have any recent information."

"However, they also exile many of their citizens for stepping out of line. Many of them end up here, they're quite a bright species. And never have we seen a more strict society. They're a bit barbaric with their exile process too: a symbol is burned onto their wrist and one horn is cut off and capped. Emi, the girl I introduced you to earlier was born in exile, so she has no brand and still has her other horn."

"Their society is loosely caste-based. There are the high-born caste, the warrior caste, and the commoner caste. The high-born usually live in the capital city of Masakayama, where foreigners aren't allowed at all. The warriors are the military and the security around the most of the cities, with a small sub-caste dedicated to defending and maintaining the Aoishei Palace, where the king lives. And the commoners... are everything else. Some would say there is a caste of wizards, but that doesn't really make sense. All matossa are magic-users to some extent."

"Oh yeah, they're also ridiculously prudish. They are so hilariously up-tight, they angst over anything suggestive, and believe anything at all below the neck that's unclothed is unforgivable nudity!"

"That's the rest of what I know. I suppose if you could befriend a matossa, you could learn more yourself."

Last edited by Seccom-Masada on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:03 am

Do you maybe have what that exile brand looks like on record, out of curiousity?
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:08 am

Tell me more about the Sultanates of Nadim. What is their government like? Their religion?
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:44 am

What's the Sea of Stars?
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:48 am

Fi Skirata wrote:Do you maybe have what that exile brand looks like on record, out of curiousity?
What's the Sea of Stars?

Aansa gets out a pen and some stationary and begins to draw a symbol onto it.

As she finishes, she holds it up for you to see.

"We know this symbol very well. We see it quite a bit, it looks like this. It appears to be a curse, but we aren't precisely sure what it means. According to the exiles, it marks them as 'invalids' or 'those without'. They don't know what it means either, only what it symbolizes. It looks like matossan script, but it's not a character we've seen before."

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 UQQ6gcY

She then puts the pen and paper to the side.

"The Sea of Stars? Ah, yes. The gulf to the South of Madosakai. I've seen it before. It's quite beautiful. Especially at night."

"It's the impact crater from the first lyrite meteor. It hit the southern edge of the continent and subsequently exploded, leaving an exceptionally large hole and drenching the area in lyrite dust and crystal fragments. This area is where most unrefined lyrite comes from. The hole is amazingly deep, but the crystals are bright enough to be seen from the surface. Some are even big enough to jut straight out of the water!"

"Also, sometimes at night, excess lyrite energy pours from them and floats off into the air. It forms small flame-like shapes that simply drift around harmlessly. Definitely a sight to behold!"

Mr. Fountain wrote:Tell me more about the Sultanates of Nadim. What is their government like? Their religion?

"Well, there are two sultanates currently. The Imperial Triarchy's head may be called 'High Sultan', but the government is drastically different."

"The largest is the Hassanid Sultanate, ruled by the son of the late Imperial Nadim King of the Scroll: Altan Hassanid VIII. They've broken away from the Triarchy and took most of it with them. What the High Sultan failed to realize was that much of his realm and men weren't even his. The Hassanids were the law enforcement sector of the Triarchy, tasked with keeping the other two kings in-check. Naturally, one High Sultan finally grew tired of being curtailed, so he looked for any excuse possible to get the former King Hassan Hassanid XI executed. That excuse was Hassan's noted leniency on bremin slaves. After the execution, half of the country revolted. The High Sultan, however, still had more men. So, to spite the High Sultan, Altan had declared an emancipation policy and started uplifting and training bremin slaves to fight. This basically doubled his forces and the war ended rather quickly."

"The Sultanate of Kotimaa is what these bremin created when the war was over. The Hassanids taught them countless things: metallurgy, military tactics, architecture, feudal law, and so much else. It was difficult, but Kotimaa was eventually able to secure some form of sovereignty. They still exist as a satellite nation protected by Altan Hassanid, however. Their current ruler is Sultana Kieralha I, of the Kotimaa Clan... or 'Great House' Kotimaa, as she would have it be referred to now. Many of them were pretty quick to abandon their tribalism. They also adopted the Nadim religion. As you can probably guess, this led to internal strife. Some held fast to their traditions and tried to break away. The Sultana has been fighting wars of reconquest to this day. Hm... it's unfortunate, too. I have some distant family in Kotimaa."

"Hm. I'd have to take longer going over both of their laws. Let's just say the Hassanids are still in the midst of restructuring their government since they're now missing two thirds of it, while Kotimaa is using a strange form of feudalism that is overlapped onto their old tribal council. Oh... And the Triarchy is a whole other beast altogether!"

"And religion has become a bit of a dangerous topic in all of Nadim. The Hassanids still seem to revere the Golden Council, same as the rest, but the westerners have deemed them heretics, somehow. Meanwhile Kotimaa can't seem to decide on what they should worship, some of them have marked Hassan as a god, some have imposed the Golden Council onto their old sun goddess, it's a bit crazy."

"I could go over the Triarchy if you'd like, or one of the other two nations in more detail."

Last edited by Seccom-Masada on Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:33 am

Yes, please do! And while you're at it, can you tell me more about the process in which the faiths merge and break apart?
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:32 am

[Snow and Kaz can now be asked things about the setting. What they know differs. Also, to clarify, this whole thing is non-canon to the quest. These conversations ain't actually happenin'. If there's something you wanna know, address them and ask a question.]

Mr. Fountain wrote:Yes, please do! And while you're at it, can you tell me more about the process in which the faiths merge and break apart?

"Uh. Hey. Again, about that last part... I don't know. I'm not a theologist. As far as I'm concerned, most of them are the same and just branch off into... more of the same."

"Hm. One second, please."

Aansa pulls off her coat and rolls up her sleeves.

"Sorry. Bit warm in here. Probably shouldn't have worn a sweater today. Hehe."

"Anyway... I can, however, tell ya about the Triarchy! It started out as three huge sultanates and a few little emirates down in Nadim. Two of them decided to adopt the old Anethenian Imperium's 'Regna Trifecto Prefectorum', a sort of elective monarchy where three or more kings elect a 'high king' and each lord governs a specific sector of the government. Though, in practice, the high king... well, high sultan in this case, isn't much more than a glorified middle man. Also strange that they would refer to themselves as kings, but still hold a title of 'sultan'. Gets confusing and gives me a bit of a conniption."

"So, as could be expected, it had a bit of shaky start. The Hassanids and the Eramids were quick to unite, but the Vahemans were reluctant. Naturally, conflict broke out and a bunch of continent re-unification wars were declared. Took about 73 years for the whole thing to die down, If I remember correctly. Nadim has quite a long, bloody history, but it has also had quite a few periods where it's grown and flourished."

"Each of these three kings comprised one general role in the goverment, assigning more specific duties to their smaller lords. You had the King of the Scale, which was the enforcement sector and traditionally ruled by the Hassanids. It governed how the laws were to be carried out. To its smaller lords went the tasks of the constable, criminal justice, executions, and making sure the other kings observe the law properly. One thing to note is that even though they did not have control of the entire military, they actually had more men under their command than the standing army because they controlled the entire police force, the Kesaba Mahavız, which drastically outnumbered it. Yet another factor to their victory in the civil war."

"Then there is the King of the Coin, who oversaw trade and commerce. Traditionally of House Vaheman. I am definitely not too savvy on the ins and outs of mercantilism, but that's what they did."

"And lastly, the King of the Sword. Self explanatory, no? House Eramid ruled this one. They organized the military, trained the troops, and oversaw the recruitment of the Yanaçeri corps, the kings' royal guards. Before the end, they were also mostly responsible for the aggressive slave trade and rampant jingoism that corrupted most of the west"

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 BAAUyLD

"The Nadim Imperial Triarchy, as they started to call themselves, eventually settled and would rule for about seven hundred years after that. Sure, there were still pockets of conflict here and there... rebellious lords, the occasionally bold horde of plains bremin, Drabanti pirate raids, and that outbreak of necromantic monsters from the old Imperium I mentioned earlier. They were pretty resilient."

"Then, about a century and a half ago, they had instituted a slavery policy for non-humans. Much of the world thought they had gone mad. Turns out that the usual 'High Sultans', the Eramids, had been seeming much more... eccentric each year. By that I mean they had become paranoid, sadistic and rather decadent. The whole thing was a bit shady, some suspected outside involvement with their madness, but nothing ever arose from those suspicions. Many were crazy enough to suspect mind control but... eh. We've seen many 'mad kings' over the years. Anyway, Hassan decided to be more lenient, things escalated, and the rest is history."

"Some could say they were much like Anija... except we literally built our three 'kingdoms' from the ground up and managed to last more than a few centuries. Heh."

Last edited by Seccom-Masada on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48 am

Necromantic monsters? Necromancy? Tell me all about that!
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Mr. Fountain wrote:Necromantic monsters? Necromancy? Tell me all about that!

"Hm. Necromancy. A very touchy subject here in Anija."

"I am certainly no expert in magic, that's Hestija's business. I did read into it a little bit back in secondary school, though."

"Firstly, you must understand that everyone's body generates a weak aura of lyrite energy. As such it can be manipulated as well, but it is very difficult to do so and requires an immense amount of energy. We believe what generates this weak energy is actually the soul... literally. Or some other sort of 'inner energy' like it; people have shown that it isn't fully required for life. Hells, we've even discovered that splitting that 'soul' and placing it into something else actually prolongs life for some unknown reason, but at the cost of some... interesting effects on the minds of both involved. The city of Hestija would be looking into it more if it weren't for the ethical problems the higher-ups are debating over... and something else I'll tell you about."

"Hey, don't look at me like that! Sure, we may experiment on sapients, but we only ever use WILLING subjects! We have rules for such things! And in my opinion, we should not have even been messing with this stuff in the first place."

"Um... Anyway. Necromancy is a classification of lyr-field manipulation having to do with death and the body, specifically the soul's interaction with the body. Various things can be done with it. The most basic thing being standing a cadaver up and moving it around like a puppet by emulating a soul using lyrite energy. There's more, obviously, but that's the first thing people think of when the topic is mentioned. This kind of manipulation has also shown to be able to extend the life of the user, weaken a target by directly cutting most of their body off from that inner energy, or effecting someone's mind by making them literally have a change of 'heart'."

"It may sound useful, but we were quick to discover that this sort of thing directly opens up the soul itself to lyrite corruption. We've observed... very disturbing things happen, and none of them seem to correlate. Most of the time it's just a simple, minor personality shift. And sometimes other things happen. Uh, like... that corruption spreading outward into the body and transforming someone into some sort of rotting, half-alive beast-corpse. Or worse. It was the cause of what we called the 'Hestija Crisis' about 62 years ago. They... got out."

Aansa pauses for a moment, staring you directly in the eye for a few moments, then looks away.

"They should've known better." She sighs.

"Whatever. That was a long time ago, studying the stuff has been prohibited indefinitely. Anyway, that's all I know about necromancy. The old Imperium, or what's left of it, definitely likes to make use of it, that's for sure."

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 1Sq7HJh
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Fi Skirata Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:09 pm

HEY SNOW. WHAT KINDA MOUNTS DO BREMIN RIDE INTO GLORIOUS BATTLE?
Fi Skirata
Fi Skirata
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Kaz, what's the most annoying thing about your sister?

Aansa, tell me about the old Imperium. Who rules it? How powerful are they? How much power and land did they have at their peak? How did they fall? Oh, and, tell me all about this 'crisis'.
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:03 pm

A huge white bremin shambles into view and plops down on the floor, grinning.

She waves a hand.

"Yo. Äliis, minhasä? What's up, tall fleshy guys?"

Fi Skirata wrote:HEY SNOW. WHAT KINDA MOUNTS DO BREMIN RIDE INTO GLORIOUS BATTLE?

"Hehe... Whoa. I dunno 'bout the southerners, but we tame fuckin' bears, man!"

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 JFva2Kv

"Well, horses too. But traditionally, we try ta grab us a bear as a ritual of strength in my old tribe, the Tuulani. It's the second one of three rituals, the Taleitekaanahvuu. I had one too, a little fluffy black one named Anho. Means 'Dusk'. Ah... I miss that damn bear. But yeah, they ain't as a fast as a horse, but they're definitely stronger. And they can fight! Back when I had Anho, we'd ride against Sjürigan poachers. She'd get up close and start maulin'em, and since it was snowin' real hard most of the time, they wouldn't even see me on'r back slicin' at'em with my maakii! Uh... My 'sword'. Ah, man, there was blood everywhere. It was crazy! Eh... So, yeah. It was fuckin' great; bears are damn fine mounts that we make real good use of back in Braman-Kiito. In the Northeast bit of Naerige."

"The Tuulani tribe even taught the Naerigans how to tame'em, 'cuz they asked us to. They armor'em up so they can take on Sjürige now. Hmm... Yeah, I think that's all fer mounts. Horses and bears. Might even be some tribes of Bramanni further north that ride reindeer or somethin'. Otherwise we can just run on foot. By old embers, we don't even really need a mount fer gettin' somewhere quick! We can run on all fours and carry our weapon in our mouth! Too many Bramanni themselves seem to forget that..."

---------------------------------------------

A tall human with blonde hair and green eyes sits at a desk in what looks like a bookstore.
He looks at you expectantly.

Mr. Fountain wrote:Kaz, what's the most annoying thing about your sister?

"The most annoying thing about Liz? Hmph. That she doesn't do what she's told half the time."

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 2FDSc03

"Hehe... Ah, well. She's a nice girl, usually. She just has a habit of causing a bit of trouble in her wake. Always making a spectacle, that one. And yes, she never listens. Otherwise she's not really all that annoying. We never knew her real parents, but Father did say she took on Mother's lackadaisical attitude. That's about it, really. She's much more ...uh, tame than you'd expect from young bremin around here. Their children, especially the girls, are usually all wild and crazy. And always want to play all physical-like. Bah..."

Mr. Fountain wrote:Aansa, tell me about the old Imperium. Who rules it? How powerful are they? How much power and land did they have at their peak? How did they fall? Oh, and, tell me all about this 'crisis'.

"Ah. The old Anethenian Imperium."

"A very large and very advanced nation that used a government identical to the Triarchy. They were very powerful, able to unite the entire southern continent under force of arms alone, ruling from their island-city of Arx Anethina that now stands almost completely in ruins. To emphasize their impact as a great power of the ancient world, the planet we all live on is called Anetha, and the current era of our calendar supposedly starts the very day the Imperium fell, exactly eleven-hundred-forty-nine years ago. Many of their ruins still litter the southern continent. There are also a few in southern Menijata, I believe. Tsolaigh's capital city of Chruaidh is actually a half-built megacity constructed by the Imperium that covers most of their territory."

"There are many things that led to their fall. Hubris, lack of enemies, unregulated practitioners of magic, over-reliance on magic to the point where it sapped the life right out of the ground and turned most of the continent desert... That last one was the primary issue. The Kher-Nadim in the east were also growing restless under the banner of a dying empire, taking it upon themselves to start a revolt. Obviously they succeeded!"

"As for who rules it now... We don't know. SOMEONE does, surely, but we cannot get close enough to the island to meet with anyone. There's some sort of barrier, the inhabitants do not speak, and any that leave the island that we've come into contact with are mindlessly hostile!"

"...o-oh. The crisis of Hestija."

She looks at you with a worried expression.

"I... Uh. Well, let's just say it's a good thing the city was built out on the water. My grandfather would tell me about it, much to my dismay. When the beasts... the 'revenants' ...or 'Strozcwari', they called them, broke from their containment, there weren't many of them, but it got worse. More of them were popping up around the city. They were killing people and somehow... making them like they were."

"I don't know the full details, but it seemed like one person or a few were controlling them somehow. The Chancellors had personally selected a handful of Seekers to try and put an end to it, otherwise we would have had no choice but to destroy Hestija itself. Luckily they were able to."

"I... I've seen one before, you know. A revenant. We still have some. They made me try to... examine it. I don't want to talk about it. I'll just say they... exude pure negativity."

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 OIIq0Wh
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Ey, Snow, what happened to your eye?

Kaz, what's the most embarrassing thing you know about your sister? 

Jeez, Aansa. Sounds terrible. Makes me think of diseases though. What kind of diseases exist in Anetha?
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seccom-Masada Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:19 pm

Mr. Fountain wrote:Ey, Snow, what happened to your eye?

She grimaces briefly then rubs her right eye.
"Haha... Sibling rivalry. Don't ask."

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 Aunx0p9

Mr. Fountain wrote:Kaz, what's the most embarrassing thing you know about your sister?

"The most EMBARRASSING thing? Huh... strange question."

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 I66B4q2

"Hm. Oh! Hah! I remember this one time when she was young: some plains bremin whelp from a group of traveling nomads was playing with Licia. The plains dweller challenged her to a race. But the thing is... plains bremin are REALLY fast because they can lope around on all four limbs like some kind of animal. After seeing this, Liz just HAD to try it. Needless to say, she fell flat on her face! Right in front of me, actually. She gets REAL mad when I bring it up for some reason."

"Hm. Oh yes, she also has a habit of pronouncing words funny. Like our last name, for instance. It's Yelanov, not... 'Yee-lahn-off'."

Mr. Fountain wrote:Jeez, Aansa. Sounds terrible. Makes me think of diseases though. What kind of diseases exist in Anetha?

"Well... Harrowing as it was, it was still fascinating. I suppose a perk of being a biologist means scary, disgusting creatures also deeply interest me."

"Anyway. Diseases, yes. There's your typical colds, fevers, infections... But there are also a few sicknesses that are specific to certain species. We bremin are prone to many flesh-eating diseases that mainly effect our ears for some reason. It can make us go deaf too if we don't find a way to cure it. The river dwellers call it 'Pujameljatä Jaaho', or the 'silent rot'."

Worldbuilding Discussion - Page 2 C5c7be60fe

"Matossa have a very rare blood disease they can catch that completely cuts them off from lyrite energy, making their eyes and fur turn completely white and permanently blinding them. They're also unable to manipulate lyr-energy as well."

"The Volana have a strange disease that allows them to subsist on nothing but blood. Anyone can be infected with this, but it started with them. Unfortunately, it's incurable and causes strange mutations in the body like the teeth becoming elongated and the scelera of the eyes turning a deep red. Volana call people infected with this 'Strigoi'."

"Dwarves don't really catch anything, but when they hear noises at certain pitches and frequencies, they'll start to hallucinate badly. There's actually a rare predator in the deeps that usually hunts Dorzhailla and uses such noises to confuse and blind them. It resembles a very large worm!"

Ah... There's just so many to simply list."
Seccom-Masada
Seccom-Masada
Esquire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fountain Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Kaz, as a bremin living in a human society, how did your sister fare growing up? Did she experience a great deal of prejudice? 

Snow, what's the biggest thing you've ever killed?

Aansa. What do people do for fun around here? *I then lean forward and give her a wink*
Mr. Fountain
Mr. Fountain
Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2